So I went ahead and started today, just because. Here’s what the desk area looked like before:
A mess, I know. I went and got my trusty helpers
the trash can, the “please put away” box, my chair to hold the “to be filed” items, and the paper recycling bin. I started tackling the desk by taking everything off it that was paper or didn’t belong in the desk area. I scanned in the entire pile of things sitting there waiting to be scanned, made a file of kids passwords so I wouldn’t have to keep up with a billion little scraps of paper, and finally registered all those games the kids got over the holidays. Then I removed all the electronics and was left with this delightfulness:
Okay, not so delightful. I pulled the cords all out, too, and wiped them down, and then used twist ties (saved from bread bags) to tidy up their cordiness (I also labeled them with the remainders of sticky paper off the bottom of a book of stamps). Then I wiped down the desk and used a bit of spray paint (leftover from another project) over the very obvious paint deficiencies there (You may all skip that step, really. My husband will be quietly appalled. The whole area needs a repaint job, but that will have to wait until it’s a bit warmer and we can open the house for extended periods of time).
After everything was dry, I started moving things back in, leaving some stuff out in the “please put away” box and rearranging other stuff. I made enough space to put my scrapbooks back out where they belong, which made me very happy.
The only thing I didn’t get to today was under the desk, but that required tools to take the old hard drive out of the old computer and I didn’t have time to go spelunking in the garage today on top of everything else. I’m really quite pleased with the finished area, especially as it puts the file folders into better reach so that I might actually file the stuff that needs filing next time instead of it leaving on the desk.
Remember, if you’d like to link to this challenge, you may link here.