I made a really delicious breakfast casserole this morning. Our picky eaters are out of town, so we are able to eat mushrooms and onions again. Let the rejoicing begin!
- 1/2 of an 8 inch round onion focaccia bread
- 5 large eggs
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix (mine has oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, and marjoram)
- salt and pepper to taste (mine was light on salt and heavier on pepper)
- 1 long piece of beef sausage (from those that come 2 to a package)
- 4 ounces of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- a few dashes of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup or so of shredded cheese, this time I used a Colby jack/Monterary jack, next time I’m trying feta
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 in casserole with your favorite oil.
- Whisk eggs, mustard, and milk in a bowl.
- Cut foccacia into 1 inch chunks and place in bottom of casserole.
- Pour egg mixture over it and set it aside.
- Slice mushrooms, not too thin, into 1/2 inch or so sized pieces.
- Cook mushrooms with the Italian Herb Mix and salt and pepper until they are nice and yummy.
- Slice the sausage while the mushrooms cook, then when the mushrooms are just about done, add the sausage to the pan and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour the mushroom-sausage mix into the casserole, giving it a bit of a stir to incorporate the mushrooms and sausage a bit into the bready goodness.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on first, then the shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into it.
It was delicious! 🙂
One thought on “Sausage Mushroom Breakfast Casserole”
Comments are closed.