we’re not exactly boring…

…and yet I don’t feel like we’ve done a lot either. (Edited to add: …and then I read this post and it made me feel tired from all that we’ve been doing…)

Last week?  Um.  Yeah.  Monday we did something during the day, I’m sure, but I don’t remember what.  In the evening David had his last regular den meeting for Tiger Cub Scouts.  I took the other kids to nursery at church while I attended VBS training (I’m a craft girl this year).

Tuesday was MDO and I had lunch at Olive Garden with my friend JG.  I also hit Hobby Lobby and used my mother’s day gift card to get a couple really cute shelf brackets, some kids apron & oven mitt sets, and a little camera & phone case.  In the afternoon we got to meet my parents new neighbors (here in my town)– a family of three (their son is 7 months old).  (A funny story: the wife was trying to drive into the garage for the first time and her SUV’s antenna got stuck in the garage door and pulled it off the track.  Ok, maybe that’s not funny, but we got to meet her and chatted while she waited for help to arrive.)

Wednesday we skipped library day in favor of having coffee with some neighborhood moms.  One of them (the new one to the neighborhood) didn’t show up, but it was fun to have the other one over.  She has a little 6 month old girl that is just too cute.  We went out to dinner at the local chinese “super” buffet (there’s sushi & mexican & chinese & a really weird salad bar & ice cream).  Afterwards Nick helped the new neighbors move some stuff into their house (another funny story: they got locked out of their house that time.  The babysitter had to bring the spare keys over.).

Thursday I spent all day baking.  Seriously.  We’d been told that we were going to be low on scouts from our den for the end of the year Pack Meeting/Awards Ceremony/Potluck, so we’d need to bring a bit extra dessert.  Then my parents and Nick’s mom decided to attend, too.  So I ended up bringing four desserts and an extra entree.  And a good thing I did, too.  There was only one dessert besides mine there (a small plate of brownies) and not too much other dinner food either.  The meeting was utter chaos, in part because the pack leader was stuck in another state.  But mostly because the kids were just SOO HYPER.  Not my kids so much, or my friend JB’s, but all the other ones.  One kid drop-kicked another one in the hallway.  The other parents totally ignored the chaos.  We were appalled.  Nick’s mom thanked us for being such good parents and raising such great children and also suggested we find another pack to join.

Friday we went to my friend BB’s for a playdate.  She’d told us to bring a picnic lunch, but we were out of everything sandwich related & we were totally running late (my parents were still here and my mom wanted to show me “just one more thing” in the yard.  *sigh*) so we stopped and picked up chicken biscuits (it was still breakfast serving time when we got to the drive-thru) to go with our leftovers from the pack meeting.  The kids had a lot of fun and we got to meet some new people, so that was good.  The kids all played in the mini-pool.  We have a mini-pool, too, and I’m astounded at how we could fit 5 small kids in it without a fight, because at my house the same size pool is not big enough for 3 kids (although I have to admit that David takes up a ton more space than the small kids).  Anyways, when it came time for lunch I felt like I maybe fed my kids too much food or something, cause BB just fed hers cheese & crackers & fruit and mine didn’t finish their food (which had they been home, they would have finished most of it).  *shakes head*

Saturday I had a coffee date with my long lost friend JB.  See we live in the same part of town, have kids approximately the same age, and were in a mom’s group together, but with one thing and another we manage to never see each other.  Her kid left something at the pack meeting the other night so I called about returning it and we ended up at Starbucks (where neither of us had been in more than a year) for a three-hour-chatfest.  Her house has also been in chaos with a kitchen remodel (they’re doing their own stuff though).  Her family is also leaving the cub scout pack for next year (but for a different one than we’re going to).  And we decided that we can’t ever let our meetings go this far in between because we get along really well.     (And since I forgot to bring her pictures from the pack meeting, we have a perfect excuse to get together again soon!)  Once I got home, I spent two frustrating hours installing a coat rack & a shelf in the front hallway.  Due to my arthritis, I’m no longer strong enough to nail stuff into the wall using a regular hammer, but I’m really really stubborn and tried it anyway.  Eventually it was done and it all looks good.

In the evening, Nick went to prom with his mother.  Yes, you read that right.    Nick’s dad is not the dancing/chaperoning type, so Nick’s mom asked if he could come and dance with her a few times (she’s been watching swing dancing videos & he’s gone over to practice with her a bit).  Nick’s brother was the DJ (and it was the brother’s birthday that night, too).  Apparently it was all good.  I stayed home and watched “The Wedding Date,” which was unintentionally hilarious at times.

Sunday we….umm….really I should remember, but I don’t.  Nick did a lot of yard work.  The kids and I went to church.  And….I don’t remember what else.  Monday we made the rounds of Nick’s family: first to Mandy & Mark’s house to pick up some pecan wood (and a chain to bring to Nick’s dad) and the kids played & saw baby puppies & kittens & stuff and then off to his parents house to pick up our extension cord (which I’d taken over to the prom on Saturday morning).  The kids played there for a while, too.  We went back home & Nick went up to work to study some more for his PE.  The kids and I started reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, which I love.  They didn’t know what a tollbooth was, so we made one out of an old computer box.  We painted half of it purple (like in the book) and the other half blue (because David wanted it blue).  We made the signs “Slow Down Approaching Tollbooth” and “Have Your Destination in Mind.”  And then we picked out boxes for them to make cars out of, but didn’t get them painted, as Nick needed to get to the grill by then to make supper.  Once back inside and once the allure of the tollbooth wore off, David turned it on it’s end, blue end out, and made decorations so that that side of it looked like the Tardis.  So then there were Adventures!  In!  Time!  And then we ate dinner.

…and yes…there are photos at flickr.com….and they’re terribly out of order, but flickr doesn’t let you fix that…